Wednesday, April 11

"Sometimes it Snows in April"

Proof:



We'll get a projected 3-4 inches in my neck of the woods; 6+ inches are expected where Joe's parents live.

I'm told this is unusual. I'm finding spring to be a strange beast of a season ...




Update: After the day of snowy-drizzle I realized this would probably be the last snow of the season. Then, tonight, I stood outside in an atmosphere just cold enough to snow, watching the wind guide the flakes north, south, east and west. It's truly incredible how the snow can amplify the wind, making it entirely noticeable.

It made me remember all of the snow I've seen the year –– the kind that falls, sparkling under yard lights when it's very cold, the little tubes of snow that amass when its in between warm and cold, the soft, big, clumpy flakes and the little tiny balls of snow that melt on contact with anything –– and how magical my experience of winter has been.

The experience also reminded me that, in a culture that values comfort and efficiency, one can easily forget how beautiful "inconvenient" things are. Minnesotans often see snow as a hassle, increasing the occurrence of car accidents, making travel slow, ice-scrappers necessary and big, unfashionable coats a mainstay.

But, if you take a moment to stand and watch the snow, letting it fall on your shoulders and face, you remember that your inconvenience is marginal to the world around you –– that your inconvenience means nothing to anyone but you.

For some reason, this is very empowering to me; it reminds me that my place in the world has more weight than any one of my accomplishments or failures, and makes me content in simply existing in the snow.

No comments: