Sunday, October 21

We escaped the first fire, maybe not the second

My dad lives on a small ranch just outside of Ramona, CA. When the Cedar fire hit in 2003, his current house was in Escrow and he was lucky enough to have not been touched by the fire. My cousins, who also live in the area, had to evacuate, horses in tow. But, for the most part, everything turned out alright.

After the Cedar fire, which burned 300,000 acres in the area and sent ash raining down throughout the county and city of San Diego for nearly a week, a new fire station was put up across the road from my dad's new home. We always joked that his house was the best place to have a fire, because the proximity of the station. However, that station was put in specifically to protect the Cleveland National Forest — the forest in which the Cedar fire began. The firefighters always said they'd help my dad if he needed it but their first priority is the forest.


Right now, fire is threatening my dad's home. I don't know all of the details, but I know that my brother and step mom are safe away from the fire and that my step mom is not able to return because they have blocked all incoming traffic into the area. My dad is the only member of the house left to fight the fire.

I'm not exactly sure why it is safe for him to still be at the home (i.e. why he hasn't been evacuated) if there is fire threatening the home. However, that is the case. I'm not even sure if the fires he's been fighting are related to the massive fire burning in the area. All I know is that he has been fighting fires for a while, at least some of which are coming from piles of junk in his neighbor's yard.

San Diego is experiencing heavy Santa Ana winds, which create the ideal conditions for fire. It's possible he's fighting some sort of small backyard fire.

Though the fire department helped him the first day he was fighting it, they were called elsewhere today. I'm not sure if the firefighters that helped him were from the Ramona fire department or the forestry one across the road from his house.

My dad's very spiritual and I just wanted to ask that you think some positive thoughts for him, or pray, depending on your belief systems.

I'll post an update when I know more.


1 comment:

Amy said...

We will DEFINITELY be praying for your dad & your family! Brett's parents got a call late last night from their neighbors saying that the fire was approaching Alpine too and that they may need to evacuate... which is super stressful because Brett's parents are still here and they won't get home until after 6pm.