Sunday, February 1

Darkness, You Have Met Your Match




I'll start off by saying I love natural light. I would love to shoot in natural light all the live long day and night, but the reality is there just isn't enough light for that. While I've been filled with lighting ideas for some time, I haven't had the equipment to execute them. That changes now.

I begin the year with equipment that's going to help me give darkness a run for its money. I added a second flash to my arsenal, pocket wizards and two Gary Fong Lightspheres, as well as a less exciting, but just as useful, light stand and tripod. I also got my hands on a much longer pc cord, which doesn't sound exciting, but trust me, it is.

I haven't had much time to play with them until last night. I turned off all the lights and lit some portraits of Truman using just my two flashes off-camera using camera settings for broad daylight (ISO 100) — one placed behind him and one coming down from above to the right of the camera.

I sat him on one of his new chairs. He doesn't understand how to get down from them, so sitting him there is like holding him hostage. But he put up with it for a few minutes.








I suppose I'd also like to brag that I knitting him that hat. I'm a little addicted to orange and blue, what can I say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are adorable, we showed them to Grandpa before he went to surgery.
Marian